Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Dynamic Aura Dynamo

.., and other hidden life messages found on your media shelves. Or, in other words, how to change your old, worn-out aura. And really, there's more than just one way, in fact, there's thousands of ways to accomplish these things, some more complicated than others. I won't go into any of them, because I'm only guessing that there are many. I'm far too lazy to ever find out, and that's why this post will be right up my alley. I don't think I even have the gumption to explain why there might be so many other methods, other than it's my "instinctual feeling," which has merit in itself.

After reading Chuck Klosterman's newest book, I've realized a) that Klosterman loves using alphabetical lists like this, and b) people define themselves and explain their lives through (usually) poorly written music. Well, I shouldn't say poorly, one might argue that it's geniuously written music. It simply depends on how much of a mastermind you think the specific musician is. It also seems that in many cases, musicians have predicted their own demise, as I've recently thought about. Let's look at a few examples:

1) John Denver's I'm leaving on a Jet Plane - I think we need not say anymore about this one.

2) Chuck Schuldiner's Pull the Plug and Suicide Machine - both favoring death over suffering. Chuck died of brain cancer.

3)... okay, so maybe I didn't do my research. So what if I only have two examples. Now, let's suppose Motley Crue gets killed by anything that could be defined as "looks," then I'll have something golden here.

But beyond artist self-prophecy, listeners of music certainly do live life according to certain lyrical principles. And most of the time, people wreak of the particular music they listen to. For sure, people that listen to the Grateful Dead and their descendants smell like pot and fish sticks, people that listen to Styx usually smell like stale Pabst and ham sandwiches, and people that listen to Christian music smell like fabric softener and bunnies. No, no, I lie, it's not that simple. People use music to explain their lives away. That's no profound statement as it stands. The thing to note is that people are living their lives using someone else's idea of what life is rather than taking a little time to do it themselves. And this, my friends (in short) is why we are addicted to media in this country - it's used as a means to define us and each other, and fuck, is that ever a load off of my shoulders. I was planning on spending a good portion of the next few hours defining myself, but instead I'm watching "House," which is accomplishing that task for me. It's showing me that by being a wise-cracking genius always ends in a magnicent display of coolness and heroism in the end. After this I will watch The Real World Reunion where I can see more people created in the image of other people, and so on and so forth. Nothing real. Then the Little League World Championships, where Saudi Arabia has one white kid named Nick and an Asian kid named George Luo, which has nothing to do with what I just said but is peculiar.

With all of that said, we can now conclude that my thesis is not strong or even well supported by anything other than my endless and wasteful banter. In other words, I've completely been affected by the things I just spoke of.

2 Comments:

Blogger B.O.R.T. said...

glad to see that the chuck klosterman book rubbed off on you. his writing goes down nice and easy, because it seems like something that i could write. plus, he's so self-conscious/critical that you can't really fault him too much.

anyway, re: your thesis... "little house on the prairie" taught me this: blind girls are sensitive, and Pa will ask your help in a loving but stern sort of way.

i liked the motley crue line, of course. that was funny. you should make sure that klosterman doesn't steal that one.

but yes, media is a curious multi-headed hydra... more heads every day... blogs, podcasts, nude webcams, never mind the boring march of identical tv programming. oh, wait, "cheyenne" is on. again.

i have to go watch cheyenne, who i've invited over for dinner 19 times now! what's wrong with her? why won't she listen to my cries? for dinner? for my happy?

change aura now.

5:15 PM  
Blogger fiestawizard said...

She's so hot... and real...

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home