Monday, September 11, 2006

Siren Circus with Caution (enter)

Today was the day, no doubts be cast about that. I received the package. Leading up to my receiving, I felt quite dreary, as the rain quietly fell upon my head. The tone of life was becoming nothing more than an avalanche of suppressed feelings being released. Sorry. But then, the reversal occurred. I walked up the steps to the mail area, expecting the usual set of credit card applications, overdue bills, and a fine mist of the mailman's pepper spray (he says the way I come up those stairs is threatening, I say I'm sorry... as I weep peppery tears). Not once, not twice, not five times a week, but six times a week do I come up short in mail receivings (of grand items). Today was just different. I saw the package laying on the floor and threatened to kick it to pieces. I shouldn't prejudge. I wanted to stomp that cocksure brown rectangle even before I gave it a chance. Sure enough, it was an ally, and my name soared on it's side like the dove of eternity soars on the winds of change. With that the package was immediately ripped open and the fruits were enjoyed. Grapes and guava don't usually travel well, but in this case only ~12% (by my estimate) of each fruit item was tainted in some way. Thanks.

Relations to "The Killing Zone" are no joke. Period. God bless.

Now, you said, "classes have begun." Yes they have. Oh, it looks like somebody finally is feeling the pain of school. I told you what it's all about. You always said, "I'll show you what pressure is!" Then you would push on my eyes with your fingernails. Ouch! But, really, who's crying now? You, that's who. I can only say I warned you, but you refused to acknowledge.

I wrote a letter to the Isthmus regarding the uncovering of the events of last summer. "Then suddenly, last summer." I said to you. It was about the canvassing "job" I had for a day. Read the original article here. They didn't print all of my article, as mostly I took shots at the local leader of the organization. Here's my full letter, some of the formatting may not reproduce correctly:


Reading the "Canvassers have had enough article was a horrible deja vu experience for me. Last summer, I worked for Grassroots Campaigns for one day; that being the "observation day." Upon realizing that this day was actually a day of both mandatory training and a day of non-paid work, I decided to inspect labor law a little more closely to see if this day was in fact legal. I won’t quote the law, but I can say with assurance that what they do is illegal. I explained this to the director, Emily Larson, and was immediately referred to someone out of state. They offered me $60 compensation for the observation day, but I nonetheless decided to file a complaint through the Department of Workforce Development. This seemed to both upset and confuse the company at the national level. Being upset was understandable, at least from an irrational perspective. They knew all to well that what they were doing was illegal, and would probably be forced to pay people for the day of training. And that’s precisely what they were ordered to do, in this state at least, as a result of the complaint.

I urge everyone that has ever worked at Grassroots Campaigns to file a complaint through the DWD. If you are unsure how this is done, visit the Interfaith Coalition for Worker Justice here in Madison.

This organization has no true credibility as a source of social progression and is completely hypocritical. Not only that, but they refuse to admit it and are even willing to be deceptive about their practices. I would get a job as a stock boy for Wal-Mart if I really wanted to deal with these problems, but then again, even they pay minimum wage. Emily Larson, who refused to acknowledge my complaints a year ago (in fact, if memory serves, she insisted upon the legitimacy of their practices), will now have to listen to a plethora of them. She is every bit responsible for carrying these practices out as the company managers who have developed them. I would hope that she realizes that (ironically) she is part of the sort of entity that her organization claims to fight against.


Read it and weep Grassroots Campaigns! Don't give them cash, demand that they get paid first. Once they can prove that, then consider that most of the money you give them funds high-paid lobbyists to do whatever is within their power to get politcal types on their side. Then consider that the rest is put into the "company" to make it stronger and more profitable. Makes sense I guess.

2 Comments:

Blogger B.O.R.T. said...

For the Pandora's Box: 1) you're welcome, and 2) sorry (that it looked like a deadly pipe bomb). Harder to wrap things in grocery bags than moms make it seem (like so many things that moms do).

The pain of school acknowledged, as is the fact that, really, I don't CARE much anymore about things like the grades and the "making it big time." Still, my homework printout today looks a WEE BIT compulsive. You can take the ___ out of the boy but you'll never take the boy out of the ____. Keep it clean, kids!

I read the Isthmus article with gusto. I'm always glad to see that SOME state schools are still keeping it real. We've succumbed to the dogs of war, I'm afraid.

In any event, I remember the trail of tears forged by our Ms. Emily Larson not too long ago. She tried, bless her tiny crooked heart, to soothe you with wine, bacon, and exotic artisan cheeses, but you would not be soothed by that temptress, nay! Her ill-gotten funds shall rot in the demonic treasure chest of hypocrisy, to be one day won back by the warriors of destiny's cool-burning candle! I hope.

We are none of us immune from hypocrisy, but one should at least knock it off when one has had their hypocrisy decently pointed out to them...

btw, did I spell "hypocrisy" wrong? thinking i did but not gonna check.

8:58 AM  
Blogger fiestawizard said...

Thank you- no you did not. But,,, I ,, noticed that I spelled words wrong in previous posts. As a not-so-cool and informative side note. That's why I added the extra commas, to jazz it!

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home